1st, Fix the question – Most questions that confused or unbelieving people ask about Christianity are full of assumptions and erroneous statements. For example:
“Have you stopped beating your wife?” Whether you say yes or no you are an abusive husband! This question is made on the assumption that you are an abusive husband; if you are not how can you answer the question without first fixing the question?
“Did you like your sandwich?” also presumes that you ate a sandwich, what if you have not? How much more so must we fix a question before we ask it about something so deep and important as God’s character.
- People only go to hell because they do not believe in Christ as Savior (remember belief means more than mental acknowledgment)
- Jhn 3:36 – “He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
- Jhn 5:24 – “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
- Jhn 6:47 – “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.
- Mat 25:41 – “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
- By having faith in Christ as your Savior your name is written in the book of life
- Rev 3:5 – “He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
- By not believing in Christ you opt out of having your name in the book of life
- Not being in covenant with Christ is what sends you to Hell
- Individuals who purposefully ignore God express their desire to live without God. In hell your wish is perfectly granted.
- Therefore: God does not send anyone to Hell, they send themselves. God is just obeying the spiritual laws that have existed since before time that darkness cannot dwell in the light, and that sin incurs wrath.
- Laws like gravity, fire, and water can kill or injure you but when you know of the consequence of jumping off a cliff etc. who’s fault is it when you get hurt or die? Can you blame God for not breaking the laws He set up and holds you accountable by?
- Sin cannot exist in God’s fullness in Heaven, it must be washed away.
- Isa 59:2 – Behold, the LORD’s hand is not shortened, That it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, That it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.
- Rev 21:27 – But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.
- Rev 1:5 – and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood,
- “God doesn’t send his children to hell” correct, because His Children believe in and surrender to Christ.
- You are only a child of God if you are born again by Christ, else you are still subject to sin and God’s wrath aka a child of Satan
- Jhn 8:44 – “You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.
- 1Jo 3:1 – Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.
- 1Jo 5:2 – By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments.
- He gave salvation for free at the cost of His Son
- He warned and informed us of the consequences of sin & unbelief
- He convicts us of sin by the Holy Spirit
- He forgives us of sin and sees us as righteous via Christ’s righteousness
God has actually worked to keep us out of Hell!
- The one thing God can’t do is control us against our will
- We are accountable for our own actions and we can’t hold God responsible for them
- Jam 1:13-14 – Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.
- 2Pet 3:9 – The Lord is … not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
- If someone does not want to be with God in this life they will be totally separated from Him in the next.
- “This life is a dress rehearsal for the next”.
A great resource on sin: